The good news is that lifestyle changes can relieve symptoms, and acupuncture treatment is available to help. Acupuncture and Traditional Eastern Medicine can effectively treat Carpal Tunnel Syndrome without side effects or harmful medications.
What is Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? The carpal tunnel is a narrow pathway in the wrist that protects the median nerve which innervates the hand as well as tendons that control the fingers. This nerve controls sensation and muscle movements in the hand. If the carpal tunnel becomes narrowed from swelling or injury, the nerve is compressed and impinged. This can cause numbness, pain and severe weakness in the hands.
There are several causes of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, but the main culprit is repetitive flexion and extension of the tendons in the hands and wrists, when performed for long times, leading to Repetitive Stress Injury.
Symptoms usually start with dull wrist pain that gradually worsens. Other symptoms may include:
- Loss of feeling in fingers
- Numbness, tingling, or burning sensations in the fingers or down into the palm or fingers
- Pain extending from the wrist up the arm to the shoulder or down into the palm or fingers
- Weakness in hands and difficulty holding objects
How can acupuncture help? Typically, treatment for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is based on how severe the symptoms are, and may include immobilizing the wrist and hand, using anti-inflammatory drugs or corticosteroids to reduce swelling, and surgery in severe cases. Acupuncture can safely be used in conjunction with Western treatments to relieve Carpal Tunnel Syndrome symptoms. Acupuncture can both reduce swelling of soft tissue and stimulate production of cortisol, a hormone that reduces inflammation. Since Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is caused by the swelling of the soft tissue that leads to inflammation of the carpal tunnel, acupuncture can be effective in treating Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. In supplement to improving your Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, treatment may also improve other symptoms often associated with this condition such as headaches, neck pain, and shoulder stiffness. Acupuncture can help relieve the emotional stress of living with this painful condition. That is very important to treat carpal tunnel syndrome.
We will create a personalized treatment plan designed to address your body’s imbalance. During treatment, fine, sterile needles will be inserted at specific acupoints along the meridians in order to support and strengthen your body and eliminate pain.
We may also recommend herbal medicine, vitamin supplements, massage, acupressure and stretching as part of your treatment.
Acupuncture offer a safe, pain-free, natural way to treat Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. With right care, you can recover from Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. As you continue with treatment, you may even find that your overall health and well being improve along with your symptoms.
TIP! Self-care for a pain-free life. Actively taking part in your treatment is key. Consider these self-care techniques:
- Take plenty of breaks during the day, especially if you perform repetitive tasks.
- Try yoga to increase your flexibility and strength.
- Remember to gently stretch your hands, arms, and shoulders throughout the day.
- If you work at a computer, consult an ergonomics specialist to ensure that your workstation is set up properly.
- Ask your practitioner about supplements such as B2, B6, and Omega-3 fatty acids for reducing numbness and inflammation.